Old 21-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Millions Infected With Deadly Parasite Spread By Cats

I suspect a TROLL wrote in message :

Millions Infected With Deadly Parasite Spread By Cats
1-20-3

From my reading, in this country as in America more people are infected from
uncooked and undercooked meats and veg than from ingesting cat faeces.
Burgers are the normal agent of infection not domestic cats!

Indeed if your cat is infected by eating infected mice or uncooked meat, and
I understand it only happens once in it's life, the faeces can contain the
parasite but it needs to mature in the shit for 1 to 10 days to become
infectious. So if you clean out the cats dirt box daily, wash your hand
afterwards and before eating, which is standard hygiene, you won't have a
problem. You can't breath it in you have to eat it.

Pregnant women should not clean out a dirt box at all to avoid infection, as
it's very dangerous to the unborn child. (should they avoid burgers too? )

If you garden where cats defecate especially ones that catch mice, then use
gloves, and take extra hygiene precautions, and don't eat anything grown
there raw.

About 40% of our population show antibodies so have been infected at some
time in the past and probably only showed flue like symptoms at the time. It
only causes a problem if someone has an immune system dysfunction, i.e.
Aids, old age, etc.
--
Bob ( and 3 cats, Rama, Coco and Patch)

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.