Old 22-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Sacha

Default Acer Palmatum help

On 22/10/05 12:12, in article ,
"Mark Thomas" wrote:

If you've moved it to a more sheltered spot, you've give it a good chance.
There are two things they absolutely loathe, being in wind and too much
water........ Perhaps you should start reducing the water you are giving
it so that it reaches almost drying out point and do make sure that it is
draining well after each watering, whether by you or by nature. Raise the
pot a little off the ground so that water can drain out of holes in the
bottom.

Thanks for the reply!

I think when we potted it we haven't given it enough drainage.

If we were to remove the tree from the pot and refill with a more free
draining mix would this damage the tree, i.e. shock it too much?

I went and checked this with Ray who *is* the expert. ;-) He says please
leave it until spring to re-pot it and then put it in something like John
Innes No. 3. He doesn't see any need to feed it. He stresses that you
should let it dry out now and leave watering to nature, allowing drain holes
to do their work and keeping it sheltered from wind.
snip
But he is adamant that you should wait until spring to re-pot it and most
especially if you're going to put it into a larger pot.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk