Old 21-01-2003, 11:59 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Looking for Stipa Gigantea suppliers

The message
from (Nick Williamson) contains these words:

Hi all,

I'm struggling to find a UK-based online seed supplier for Stipa
Gigantea. I have a horrible feeling that I'm showing my ignorance and
it'll turn out to have rhizomes or something, but I'm asking anyway.
Where can I get some? (Already tried Mr.F., T&M, Chiltern).

TIA
Nick

I think the trouble is that S. gigantea doesn't set seed in this
country. I've tried the odd seed head from well endowed plants but never
found that my poaching has been rewarded with successful germination - a
punishment I deserved, I guess.

My very old CD of The Plant Finder listed just three seed suppliers in 1997-8:

Jelitto Perennial Seeds, P.O. Box 1264, D-29685 Schwarmstedt,
Germany.Tel. +49 5071 4085
Gesellschaft der Staudenfreunde e.V, Geshaftsstelle, 65795 Hattersheim,
Okriftel, Melensweg 1, Germany. Tel. +61 90 36 42
Sandeman Seeds, The Croft, Sutton, Pulborough, W. Sussex RH20 1PL. Tel.
01798 869315

Good luck

Janet G