Old 23-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Steveo

Default Aeration

"Dean A. Markley" wrote:
My lawn service has suggested aeration of my lawn. This was back in
August and it is now October 20. They haven't doen it yet becasue they
claim to be "backed" up. I am in Pennsylvania and am wondering if there
is any value to having this done this year now with winter approaching.
Any suggestions/thoughts/comments?

Dean

YES! Aerate the hell out of it. The soil plugs will begin to break down
over the winter, when you're not using/cutting the lawn.

We do them up until the ground frezzes..then we start doing them again in
the spring.

I read one reply that said something about measuring your thatch layer to
determine if you need core aeration or not, he said something about 1/2
inch of thatch or less doesn't need it. I say bullshit! If you wait until
it's 1/2 inch or more, aeration won't cure it.

Some lawns need aeration every year, as a preventative to 1/2 inch of
thatch.

Aerate, aerate, aerate!

YMMV