Old 23-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Dwayne

Default French apples

Good morning Sacha. I don't have the answer for you, but I like to can
apples, so I have been testing all the new ones I find in the local stores.
Of those mentioned here, I enjoy the flavor, taste and crispness of Gala,
Fuji, and Pink Lady in that order, with Pink Lady being the best. I cant
add a lot of sugar because I am diabetic, so the sweeter ones are better for
me to work with.

The Rouge Americaine, I have not tasted at least not knowingly, but I use
Braeburn for canning. The wife cooks with Granny Smith.

Another thing I have noticed about apples, is that a Gala, for example, will
taste differently depending upon where it was raised. I have had some that
were not to my liking, and the next one could be one of the best I have
eaten. It might have something to do with the pH of the soil in which they
were raised.

Dwayne

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:
This is a very long shot but is there a preferred type of apple that is
grown in the Dordogne region of France? My stepson bought some from a
market stall and says they were one of the best types of apple he's ever
tasted.

That's not a long shot Sacha! It's where I'm from! I'm from Perigueux.
In Thiviers, about 30km, they collected 17,000 tons of La Gala. Near
Bergerac they do 'Rouge Americaine', 'Braeburn' and 'Grany', which I
would think is our 'Granny Smith' ... maybe?! Each variety produces
around 2500/3500 tons per year. There's also 'Fuji' and 'Pink Lady'.

I ate mainly La Gala as a kid, from the market, and the apples without
names around my family respective homes. If it tasted so good it's
perhaps because the summers are really dry. That makes juicier apples
MMMmmmmm...