Old 23-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Artichokes

"WaltA" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:02:27 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I do like Jerusalem artichokes. We have regular earthquakes in this part
of Norfolk at this time of year. (Some of mine are a good ten feet high,
with silly little flowers on top.
Or maybe it's just that they're so far away?

Same as mine.

Alan : if you get to like them then for future ref. there are some
much more errrm 'regular' varieties which you could grow.
Fuseau, for example, is long elliptical (? *) and reasonably smooth.
There is another, that I dont know the name of, which turns up in our
local veg shop from time to time which is reasonably spherical.

I have no idea what these are, they have been grown from a single root I
bought in a greengrocer some years ago.

But I do like the taste, although SWMBO has said that I should be careful
how much I eat because of the effects on the lower quarters!

Alan

I grow all three.

* ovoid ? (What is the name for the solid of revolution of an ellipse
?)