Old 23-10-2005, 01:41 PM
WaltA

Default Artichokes

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:33:26 GMT, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
Alan : if you get to like them then for future ref. there are some
much more errrm 'regular' varieties which you could grow.
Fuseau, for example, is long elliptical (? *) and reasonably smooth.
There is another, that I dont know the name of, which turns up in our
local veg shop from time to time which is reasonably spherical.

I have no idea what these are, they have been grown from a single root I
bought in a greengrocer some years ago.

They do sound like the 'traditional' old ja variety. Can produce
amusingly shaped roots !

But I do like the taste, although SWMBO has said that I should be careful
how much I eat because of the effects on the lower quarters!

Take heed of SWMBO, obey her, for she is right :-)
I usually grow 3 varieties, but if I add a fourth stage I think I
could probably achieve low earth orbit :-!))

Here is a link (beware, it may wrap, havnt had time to make a tiny
url) to a smother user-friendly tuber :
http://www.fothergills.co.uk/en/jeru...eau-11067.aspx