Old 23-10-2005, 01:48 PM
La puce

Default Dahlia, viruses and well nurtured weeds

Brian wrote:
http://tinypic.com/euhk7q.jpg
http://tinypic.com/euhmhy.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
Exceptionally good example of the variation found within the
Goosefoot family. [Chenopodiaceae] There are more than twelve native or
introduced species and each of these has a mutitude of variations. A
peculiar family, in that it has no natural habitat other than in association
with man and has evolved as such, similar to the dog.
Leaves were used as spinach and seeds as grain.
Best Wishes Brian.

The plant has been so well looked after next to the dahlias - it's the
healthiest one I've seen in ages (beside one I've seen on an abandonned
plot recently, almost 2m high). The seeds used as grain is coming back
into fashion, like the quinoa (which I don't like at all). I think the
one you eat is called King Henry but I couldn't tell if the above can
be eaten. The leaves certainly look like goose feet.