Old 23-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Roger Boughner

Default Not flowering - phal and some evil nasty ******* exotic

You probably have the same problems I have. If you are trying to grow in the
house you have low humidity, lack of sufficient temperature change (10 to 15
degrees day/nite change) and possibly not enough light. The light problem
can be solved by moving the plant or using artifical light as a supplement
to natural light. Don't put your Phals in the midday sun. They will burn and
the leaves may all fall off. One of my vandas was in spike and budding
untill I brought it in due to outdoor temps getting risky at night. Within 2
weeks the buds died and the spike started drying. My plant room is easily
kept at 75% to 80% humidity with a fan andsome humidity trays, a 2 gallon
room humidifier and one of those little mister fountains. I use a water
container with more surface area for the mister so water level drops slower.
If you let water run low it burns out the mister. And if you use kiki paste
on a dormant phal spike it will bloom if there is suficient light. If the
light is low a kiki will form instead of blooms. This could sterss the plant
so dont experiment with weak plants. Kiki paste will also create branches
that usually bloom at different times. This method is forcing the plant to
bloom when it normally wouldnt so use some caution since this is a drain on
the plant. The tempature change is dificult in a house. I have yet to come
up with a good system for this. An open window at night works here but is
very risky in centeral Indiana. A sudden cold snap while I sleep could turn
my plant room into a plant moruge in amatter of hours. Indiana can go from a
pleasant 40's or 50's evening to 0 degrees and 100 mph blizzard conditions
while you sleep. This does not happen often but who wants to risk their
orchids just for some blooms. You will appreciate them for their foliage and
roots more as time goes by. Patience is all you need. With a little care
those orchids will out live your great great grandchildren and then some. In
China one family has posessed the same orchid for 1200 years. Patience! Hop
I was of some help.
I dont know what "cark" it means but it dosen't sound healthy. The only Phal
I had that lost all its leaves had root rot. It grew a kiki trying to save
itself. I mounted the one root crown with the spike and kiki and it looks
good now. Got lucky on that one.

Good Luck
Roger in Indy

"I would like to go just one week without making any crashing sounds"

"Dragoncarer" wrote in message
So yeah...they're simply not flowering.

I dunno what else to try.