Old 23-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Brian

Default French apples

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
This is a very long shot but is there a preferred type of apple that is
grown in the Dordogne region of France? My stepson bought some from a
market stall and says they were one of the best types of apple he's ever
tasted.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I really do hate to admit it but many regions of France can grow
exceptionally good apples. When ripe, too delicate to export and get a bad
name as they send immature fruits. Last Autumn, in France, I had to wear
a bib while tasting. The juices could have run to my feet!! That was Golden
Delicious, which I detest in England.
Their method of pruning also differs, but I cannot see this related to
flavour.
Fiji is a relatively new,Japanese var., that grows well in their
climate and is exceptional.
Even in England a splendid Herts.or V of E, late apple can taste like a
turnip in our far west. Early apples vary less.
Best Wishes Brian.