Old 23-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Mike Lyle

Default French apples

Brian wrote:

[...]
Last Autumn, in
France, I had to wear a bib while tasting. The juices could have

run
to my feet!! That was Golden Delicious, which I detest in England.

[...]

I'd like to know the whole story about GD. The first time I met them
was in 1965, in an open-air market in the Middle East. It was the
night before market day, and the square was filled with a delightful
apple scent from a stack of boxes of Lebanese GD. At the time I
thought they tasted pretty good, too. So growing conditions must be
key. Or perhaps the stock has degenerated? Does anybody here grow
them properly on mature trees in England, and if so, what are their
findings?

--
Mike.