Old 12-02-2003, 03:25 AM
Bob H

Default Filter/pump advise

I am building a pond I estimate there is about 5000 +/- gallons, I have
ordered the liner now I need to look at filtration, I have been looking at
fishmate pumps (3500ex) and upflow waterfall biofilters....My setup will be
a waterfall on one end with 2 18" spillways with a total rise of about 6.5
feet (3 in pond & 3.5 above grade) the pond is 24 ft long & 8-13 ft wide in
an irregular shape. I want to be sure I have enough flow over the falls and
enough filtration. I don't expect I will have fish (too many wild birds &
critters). Do you think this setup sounds workable or can you come up with
a better (cheaper would be good) setup?
I have looked at external pumps but they seem a hassle, I can't really
afford the extra $$ for a skimmer right now (I would like to go with one
later).
I am not a total newbie, this is my second pond, my last house had a much
smaller 100 gallon + 200 gal & hour waterfall but I am far, far from expert.