Old 24-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Susan Erickson

Default watering

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:07:42 GMT, "Walter Whidden"
wrote:

I received a phalaenopsis last May as a gift. It is my first orchid. It
was rooted in moss and it bloomed all summer. When all the blooms were
done, I cut back the spikes and repotted the orchid in bark. When the
orchid was rooted in moss, it was fairly easy to determine the mosture
content, but bark is another story. Any advice on how to determine when I
should water? Thanks for any help.

Some people find using a barbeque bamboo stick as a water guide
easy. When you think it may be time to water - stick the bamboo
into the pot several inches. Allow it to sit there a bit. When
you pull it out if it is dry all they way down, your pot is dry.
If not you should be able to see the point at which the bark is
damp.

Some people can pick up their plants and feel the weight
difference between a wet (just watered) pot and a dry (in need of
water) plant. It takes time to develop this 'touch'.

Under watering is less damaging to a plant than over watering.
So one of the other rules is that if in doubt - wait a day.
Good luck.
SuE