Old 12-02-2003, 03:55 AM
Dwayne

Default How do I root a sweet potato

The best way is to lay them on the ground or in a container in the house,
which ever works best for you and depending how far south you live. Cover
them with about an inch of sand and water it slightly. If it is warm
enough, it will start growing slips that will come out of the sand. When
they get 7 to 9 inches tall, hold the potatoe down with the fingers of one
hand, and pull a slip up with the other. Remove any leaves for 3 or 4
inches up, and set it in a cup or glass of water. You dont want any leaves
in the water. Leave it there for 2 or 3 days, and then plant it outside in
the garden, or pot. Good luck. Dwayne

Dan D. wrote in message
om...
I had 3 different varieties of decorative sweet potato vines
in hanging pots last season. When frost was right around
the corner last fall I emptied the pots and found a sweet potato
in each pot. I've left them laying on a shelf in my basement and
they seem OK. At least they are firm and not moldy.
I want to get sprouts from them for this year if I can.

How do you root a sweet potato??
Do I cut them in half and stick the cut end in a saucer
of water??
Do I stick toothpicks in them and suspend them in the top
of a jar full of water??

I think we did this as children but sheesh that's 45 years ago
and I can't remember the details.

Peace!
Dan D. Louisville KY good ole USA
http://ky-dan.com
sorry my e-mail in the headers is dead
this one will work -- kydan at myrealbox dot com