Old 25-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Book contadicts internet culture of DEN's

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:28:11 -0400, "Al" wrote:

I am making a lot of assumptions with no real information.

FWIW, survey says: the number one reason this plant will die is from over
watering it. It's roots will rot off.

The number one reason it will grow but fail to bloom is insufficient light.

Everybody else, jump in anytime...

But Al, your making the same assumptions we would. And you are
doing it so well.

The Den. is most likely of the Phal type. Did the flowers look
like any of these?
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/v...ium/?g2_page=3
Dendrobium phalaenopsis compactum is the second in the top row.

Depending on how much pot you have and how big the plant is - It
may not need water for 6-10 weeks. Or it could in your
conditions of dry house air and maybe a little heat near the
plants need water in 3. I would water very lightly unless you
see fresh growth. IF the last cane is much shorter than the
others and appears to still be growing - don't quit watering yet.
As AL said - the plant may not know it is in NY.

If the roots are at the top of the cane instead of near the pot
you should see a cane above the roots. This type of aerial
growth is a keiki (Hawaiian for baby) it is a secondary way many
orchids have of prorogation. It is not good for a Den to create
lots of keikis.

SuE