Old 23-01-2003, 12:42 PM
mira

Default Full spectrum Light,Grow Light etc

Hi Oliver,
Flourescents are useless, you will need a 400w son-ti-agro or similar.
contact these people and they will give you the proper advice, they also
have a very fast delivery:
http://www.growell.co.uk/

"Oliver Norris" wrote in message
Hi Alison
Glad to hear artifical garden lighting also new to you and many thanks for
your reply. Looking foreward to hearing & learning lots more about this
subject from this News group. Oliver
"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...

"Oliver Norris" wrote in message
news
Hello There
Can someone Please help with the following, I am starting to

germinate
seeds in a propagator and was advised to put some lighting suitable

for
plant growth above them. The type of lights I have are Flourescent

tubes
(Normal.) The type mentioned in the Flourescent tubes line were Grow

Light
and Full Spectrum, Which of these tube type lights are the best for

the
job
on hand. Thanking you very much for your patience and Time Oliver in
Westport, Co Mayo.

Hi Oliver

I'll watch this with interest as I'm very new to this supplementary

light
stuff. I bought a hydroponics unit back last spring and with it came a

high
pressure sodium light. The hydroponics is in the process of moving into

the
basement right now so I've nicked the light for the greenhouse and it

seems
to give great results on the seedlings (being supplemented by two hours

at
the mo to 'ease' them into spring) but it does guzzle electricity being
600W. Plus the unit is expensive and I'd like to have more grow lights

but
at less cost. I think the 'bluer' type lights are supposed to be better

for
germination whereas the 'yellowier' ones (like sodium) are better for
growing on.

I use a natural daylight bulb for embriodery work and I was wondering if
they'd be any good rigged up. At least the bulbs fit into normal

fittings
and are not extortionately expensive. My sodium one suffered an

electricity
'spike' and blew after only 200 hours (was expecting 5000 hours!) and a

new
one cost 40GBP.

Still I'm a newbie and will take advantage of any advice you get :-)

Cheers
--A