Old 24-01-2003, 10:14 AM
sacha

Default Ponds, Herons and Lil'uns

in article , Malcolm at
wrote on 24/1/03 8:55 am:

In article , sacha
writes

snip
Apparently, the important
thing is to stop the heron wading in because that's when they catch the fish
and (I'm told) they have fish attracting scent glands in their ankles.

Hmm. Whoever told you that was having you on!

Possibly. But they were passing it on as a bit of 'folklore' they'd been
told themselves. I keep meaning to post a query on a wildlife site - must
get round tuit!

The
thing with the fishing line is that as long as you keep it absolutely taut
it's almost invisible.
I think a small gauge heavy duty wire mesh will do the trick for you. The
herons aren't going to waste their energy trying to catch fish they can't
carry off - they're not stupid!

They will, however, swallow it on the spot and then fly off!

But my point was that if the gauge of the mesh is small, they won't be able
to catch it in the first place.
snip
--
Sacha