Old 25-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Kay

Default new to gardening please help me!

In article ws.net,
Sue writes

"garden spider" wrote
The first one looks like a spirea
The fourth is Bergenia crassifolia
The seventh is Primula vulgaris
The eighth is Geranium

I am not quite sure with the others.
Hope this helps.

Think 2 and 3 may well be a Penstemon.

Agree Spirea, Bergenia and Geranium but wouldn't think the pink and white
one is Primula, the leaves don't look like a primrose type - possibly a
Verbena?

I'm getting completely bewildered and wondering whether we're all seeing
the pics in the same order! I'm looking at the gardenbanter link
provided by Kevin.

What I am seeing is:

No 1 is a bush with no flowers showing, and I'd agree with spirea.

Nos 2&3 'dark pink bells' and 'dark pink bells leaves' could be
penstemon.

No4 'glossy leaves' looks like bergenia - should have pink flowers in
spring.

Nos 5, 6, 7 'pink mess', 'pink flowers' 'pink mess 2' have me stumped.
The flowers look superficially like Viscaria but the leaves are wrong -
the leaves look like geranium or (or astrantia). But the presence of one
of these leaves in 'pink mess 2' makes it look as if the leaves in no 6
belong to 'pink mess'.

No 8 'pink and white' is again pink flowered, and looks like Verbena.
But this does not tie up with the OPs comment "the 8th did have a few
pink flowers on till i lopped them all off." So did that comment refer
not to no 8 but to no 6? And does no 6 not belong to no 5 and no 7?

There's nothing here that looks remotely like Primula vulgaris. What I'm
seeing as no 8 doesn't look at all like a geranium (though no 6 does).
And the one that looks like a Verbena is no 8 not no 7.

--
Kay