Old 25-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Gary Woods

Default Growing Asparagus from seeds

Mozie wrote:

Me again! Is there really noone out there that can help me with the
soil composition to grow asparagus seeds? I'll just have to wingit
then...

Any light potting mix will work for starting the seeds. What I referred to
as "Pro-Mix" is a commercial version of the "Cornell formula," which is
peat, perlite, sand, some fertilizer. Asparagus likes deep sandy soil,
though I do pretty well in heavy clay interspersed with rocks.
If you start the seeds in mid-winter, you can transplant them to a nursery
bed in the spring, then to a permanent bed the next spring. You'll get
excellent plants at a fraction of the cost of commercially grown roots, and
incur little or no time penalty for doing so.
Confession: I'm economical, verging on downright cheap.