Old 25-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Lynn

Default Growing Asparagus from seeds

Soil PH should be between 6.5-6.7 in well drained soil.

Asparagus is a heavy feeder and needs regular fertilizer with well rotted
manure, or compost or a commercial product worked well into the suface of
the soil. Use straw mulch to control weeds and hold mixture after you get
them planted outside. Plant the seeds about 8 weeks before the last frost at
25 C. sow outdoors 3 weeks before the last frost 1/4-1/2 deep and 1 inch
apart. Space to 18 inches apart in trenches 8-12 "deep. as the seedlings
grow fill the trench back in.

Plants from seeds will take about 4 years to before you can harvest the
spring spears. It will grow well beside basil and parsley and tomatoes as
companion plants. and asparagus is prone to rust but a sulfur spray will
take care of that at the first signs.

--
Lynn

"Mozie" wrote in message

Mozie Wrote:
Thanks! I live in South Africa so apart from not having ready mixed soil
like "Pro-Mix" at the nursery, our seasons are opposite to the northern
hemisphere. We're at the end of spring going into summer at the moment.
I visit nurseries regularly but have never seen asparagus crowns and
none of my gardening friends have either (or the soil). I wanted to try
something different so when I saw a packet of asparagus seeds I snapped
them up. So, any help to get them growing would be appreciated! Can
anyone help with the soil mixture? I'm thinking half peat moss and half
regular potting soil? Am I right in saying the soil must always be
damp?

Thanks again everyone
Mozie

Me again! Is there really noone out there that can help me with the
soil composition to grow asparagus seeds? I'll just have to wingit
then... Thanks anyway.

--
Mozie