Old 25-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Non organic Yamadori soil

Steve:

Roger makes a very good point: if you can leverage the ground temperature by wintering your trees under a bench, it is an excellent solution.

The idea of wintering via a cold shed was broached by Yoshimura in his landmark book, The Art of Growing and Caring for Miniature Trees. I winter my Japanese White Pines in the shed because extreme cold is not a problem, and I have grown weary of crawling under benches to check trees. );-)

To mitigate the effects of the cold air rushing beneath the shed and chilling the floor boards, I do the following;

1. Lay out sheets of foam board onto the floor boards in the shed. They are easily and inexpensively acquired from Home Depot.
2. Dump bags of dry cedar mulch onto the foam. This is usually 5 inches deep.
3. The bonsai are placed on the mulch.
4. The trees are drenched.
5. The root pads are covered with heavy black landscape fabric.
6. A chopstick is inserted through the fabric and into the root pad.
7. The pots are covered with cedar mulch--approximately 6-8 inches.

The shed is opened when the temperatures move into the mid 30s F. Once the temperatures drop and we enter a sustained winter freeze, nothing is done to the Japanese White Pines until the spring.

I also use this method for storing my Junipers. I do not recommend this approach for potted Buxus, Acer, Prunus, Ulmus, etc.

Cordially,

Michael