View Single Post
  #30   Report Post  
Old 25-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Non organic Yamadori soil

I hope that my recent post clarified this point.

The mulch, whether placed on pots under the bench or in a shed, minimized the freeze-thaw cycle.

My suggestion is that you speak to people in your region and determine what has worked for them. No wintering method is without risk.

Cordially,

Michael

-----Original Message-----
To:
Cc:

Sent: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 06:36:45 -0400
Subject: [IBC] Non organic Yamadori soil

Hi Michael,

This is an old one. You said:

Two years ago I almost lost a 50-year old Ulmus davidiana to an 8+ week freeze. I too thought they were hardy. );-) All trees have a limit, and we all need to understand the impact of our regional weather and wintering methods on our trees.

I lost every needle on a Pinus thunbergiana "Mikawa" during the same freeze. Go figure...

Method Used: cold shed
Alternative Method: White co-poly covered bench; cold garage.

The difference is that co-poly warms the mulch bed by day and slowly cools at night. The shed remains quite cold.

I couldn't tell whether you were recommending the the co-poly covered bench or the shed. As you said the co-poly would warm the mulch during the day but the shed or garage would provide some insulation from the cold ground.

Thanks,
Steve

************************************************** ******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
************************************************** ******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++