Old 26-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Niek Hanckmann

Default Aerides odorata or odoratum?

John Varigos schreef:
Can someone with a good knowledge of Latin help me with the correct spelling
of this species.

The Kew monocot database spells it "odoratum".

The Missouri Tropicos database spells it "odorata".

Which is correct?

Cheers

John

There is a problem with the name Aerides. According to the suffix -es it
belongs to what is called the third declination of nouns in Latin. And
ther are (as far as I know) no rules that say which words are male and
wich are female. You would have to look them up in a dictionary (or as
an ancient Roman, you would have known it by intuition?). And here is
the problem: The ancient Romans didn't know the Aerides. So in classical
Latin dictionaries you won't find the gender of this genus. If male it
would be odoratum, if female it would be odorata.

I have taken a look at what the RHS does and they spell odoratum. Jays
orchid species encyclopedia on the other hand says odorata (and has
odoratum as synonym)

So ?????