Old 26-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Kimu

Default timber training boxes

Martin wrote:

Greetings,

I've seen in several bonsai books and on the net the use of training boxes
for larger specimens of Yamadori etc. I was wondering what would be the best
timber to use for say a 5 year stint as a training box. My main concern
being timber rot and it's effects on the roots of my plants.

Pine or oak
I use wine botle boxes teh ebst one are made of
cypress wood very hard to work ..

I knocked up one box out of dressed (smooth sanded) pine planks I had laying
around and sealed them with clear varnish but am still somewhat concerned
about the planks rotting.

no vernish sand it awasy

Any tips in regards would be greatly appreciated.

makes holes under or take away sparingly few
strips of an 1" width wood from the bottom ,
than cover the bottom with plastic mosquito
screen fixed with small nails to retain soil
and treat it as a normal plant for the time
needed ; do not repot every other year even
lefed trees should be allowed enought time to
make a good root system and develope canopy
more often you repot the longer it will take

Martin

http://www.easybonsai.it