Old 27-10-2005, 12:38 AM
shazzbat

Default Runner beans and Global warming

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

"Broadback" wrote in message
Geoff wrote:
Well, I've just picked what might be the last runner beans this year
and
my wife is preparing them and she says they're OK. The other pound
or so
I took to one of my neighbours who thinks they look good too.

Will I ever get to clear the plants away for there are still some
which
look like they'll be ready to pick in a day or two?

You will when there's a hard frost.

Has anyone had frost yet? We haven't.

We had a very slight touch about 3-4 weeks ago, just enough to curl up a few
of the outermost leaves on the sweet potatoes. Fortunately not enough to
spoil them, I hear from the American gardeners that frost turns them bitter.

It's surprising really, because we're only just North of Bournemouth. We had
this touch of frost at the allotment, but not at home, two miles away.

Steve