Old 27-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Reka

Default Aerides odorata or odoratum?

In article ,
says...
Much obliged gentelmen for your input on this one. I will accept
"odoratum".

I now have another conudrum:

Back in June I e-mailed the RHS regarding the spelling of Vanda coerulea and
Vanda coerulescens in their monocot database
http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/monocotChecklist/default.jsp

I wrote: "You might want to check the spelling of Vanda coerulea and Vanda
coerulescens. These are spelt "caerulea" and "caerulescens" respectively in
the data base." I had never seen them spelt this way.

The reply I got was:

"Blue is spelled caerulea not with an "o" as people used to do."

Implying that Kew were correct.

I have again checked the data base and they are now spelt Vanda coerulea and
Vanda caerulescens.

Why has one reverted back to "o" and not the other if blue is spelt with
an"a"? It would seem that I was right on at least one!

Now for what is accepted by the RHS, I cannot vouch, but this handy
link:
http://www.winternet.com/~chuckg/dictionary.html
says that they synonomous, but neither is listed with the ending "-
scens". This suffix apparently has the meaning of "becoming". There is,
for example, "cyanascens" meaning "bluish".
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html