Old 27-10-2005, 02:00 PM
La puce

Default Tree recommendations please!

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:

Or a birch, if the yellow autumn colour is acceptable. There's some
rowans with interesting bark, for winter interest, but more birches.
(But perhaps a birch grows too tall in the long run.)

I expect it would grow too tall in the short run.

)
I thought about the sweetgum, liquidambar styraciflula, scented
flowers, leaves turning bright orange, then red, then purple in automn.
The rowan too is good, the aucuparia/aria ones with their bright orange
berries (edible too). But I would definitely plant an hawthorn,
crataegus monogyna, for the insects it houses and the 'haws' food it
provides for the thrushes, fieldfares and redwings. There's lots of
them in Ireland.