Old 27-10-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Scotts 4th Step

"Besides a sprayer, do you recommend any package program in granuals
that is better for the environment? "

No, because using any granular, you have to distribute the herbicide
all over the lawn, which is the basic problem. That can be OK if the
lawn is a real mess, with weeds everywhere. But a well maintained lawn
should only have some spot weed problems. Those can be treated by
applying the herbicide with a tank sprayer directly to the weeds,
therby using an order of magnitude less herbicide and delivering it
right on target.

I'm also not a fan of putting feritlizer down in the summer, which the
"step" programs advocate. The best times to fertilize are fall and
spring. Come summer, I leave it alone, as excess nitrogen combined
with hot weather can be a path to disease and fungus.

As for the crane fly problem, I can;t help with that. No crane fly
problem here at the shore and I don;t have any experience with them.
Suggest you contact the Rutgers county extension service for your area.
They are a good source of local info on what works best.