Old 25-01-2003, 12:54 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Request for Recommendations: Book on Vegetables

The message
from contains these words:

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:22:43 +0000, Neil Trotter
wrote:

I received the new edition of Joy Larkcom's Grow Your Own Vegetables
(Francis Lincoln Ltd., 9.99) for Christmas and it seems to be pretty
comprehensive. You get quite a thick paperback for your tenner.

The book that I have used most, if only because it is slim enough and
cheap enough to take to the allotment with me, is Dr. D.G. Hassayon's
Vegetable and Herb Expert (Transworld Publishers Ltd., 5.99), which
has something to say about most of the veg that you are likely to want
to grow. It isn't organic, though, whereas the other two that I
mention try their best to be.

I would agree and pick out the two boks above as an excellent pair to have.

The Hessayon is excellent for getting going, especially for sowing and
cropping times, and for spacing etc: quick and easy to refer to with
charts etc.. It would probably keep you going for your first two or
three years of growing vegetables

The newly published Joy Larkcom book is densely packed with information:
small print, not much attempt to be visually appealing or user-friendly,
but everything you could want for your next ten years of vegetable
growing!

Janet G