Old 27-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Warren

Default Scotts 4th Step

wrote:
I'm also not a fan of putting feritlizer down in the summer, which the
"step" programs advocate.

What the "step" programs really advocate is buying lots of stuff from them.

The best times to fertilize are fall and
spring. Come summer, I leave it alone, as excess nitrogen combined
with hot weather can be a path to disease and fungus.

And when that disease and fungus comes, they have another product to sell
you. Heaven forbid you some day figure out that they essentially got you to
pay them to sabotage your lawn so they could sell you even more stuff.

Which brings us back to..

because using any granular, you have to distribute the herbicide
all over the lawn,

Which means you buy even more stuff.

The best times to fertilize are fall and
spring.

I'd be tempted to change that to the best times to fertilize are fall OR
spring.

As for weed, moss and fungal control, combining any of those with fertilizer
is nothing more than a way to sell more chemicals. If the entire "lawn" is
weeds, or moss, or fungus, then fertilizer isn't the right thing. And if the
whole lawn doesn't have those problems, why spread the control chemicals all
over the whole lawn. The chemicals don't belong together. It would be like
mixing Preparation H and body lotion, and marketing it to people who have
hemorrhoid problems. Would you spread Preparation H on your face because you
have hemorrhoids? (Well, maybe if you were Bobby Brown, but that's something
for another newsgroup to discuss.)

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.

This fall, vacuum up your leaves instead of raking:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...r/blowers.html