Old 28-10-2005, 03:09 AM
Dennis Mayer

Default Cana roots migrating?

Vox Humana wrote:

"Dennis Mayer" wrote in message

Darren Garrison wrote:

I planted some Cana tubers in the spring of 2004. Originally, I planted

them around 8 or 10 inches
deep. Today I went out to trim them down for the winter, and found that

in several of them, there
were large branched tubers with growth points on the surface or breaking

through to the surface.

Is it normal for Cana tubers to migrate upwards like that? Would the

original tubers still be "down
there" below the surface ones? I'm concerned about them freezing out

now.

I just dug up 32 Cana plants two days ago in GBay, WI.

The two biggest plants had 10 & 11 new shoots on a flat surface with
the

original main 'tuber'..... All was very visible after I spray
cleaned the

soil off the tubers.. Dried, Full plants are now in the basement
root cellar

Why did you put the entire plant in the basement?

That is the way my relatives have stored Cana for many years. It
works.

As a thought, I'm wildly guessing that the Cana plant may pass

'plant nutrients' back to the root/tuber as the leafs die.......

I did the same with my 2 Dinner Plate Dahlias... have 80 new bulbs

and 5 more 25' gardens for next season all tilled & 'mossed'...