Old 28-10-2005, 04:21 AM
Carol-Ann

Default SKIPPY FILTER QUESTION

"Richard Holub" wrote in message
Hey,

Does anyone know if it is normar to find a skim layer of "black sludge" at
bottom of tank and directly on top of all filter media at end of season
with a Skippy Filter. I found approximately a 1/4 inch of sludge which
did not totaly "stink" but did have a slight hint of decomposition by
anaerobic bacteria.

This was the first season I experimented with the Skippy Filter
on my "NEW" 700 gal. pond. Next year the pond will empty into a larger
4000 gal. pond with a vortex filter. The small pond will actually become
a vegy filter.

I don't use a Skippy filter but it sounds like there was channeling. Some
(most?) of your filter media was being bypassed by the flowing water. Those
areas would become anaerobic and smelly.
--

Carol McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: