Old 28-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Carol-Ann

Default I Need Cheap Feed!

"~ jan jjspond" wrote in message
Some people swear by them and other's know they're a waste of money.

Interesting sentence that. The Others? Would that be the bad people from
Lost?

** Do they keep koi? Most of the people I know don't feed the high priced
fish food. I learned about the cheaper food from another successful ponder
some time ago.

Don't think they keep koi. But then, Solo & I are idiots and OUR
experience would never be as sage as yours.

** No one said you were idiots. Those successfully keeping and raising fish
on the cheaper foods aren't idiots either.

User of Sho Koi, Manda Fu, & Hy Fang (spell may not be correct).
$68/year total, feeding 7 large adults and over a dozen fast growing
youngun's.

** You don't have many fish. I have over 20 adult koi, some yearlings and
several hundred fry. I also have about a dozen adult goldfish and about 75
GF fry. Since they do as well as those fed the high priced foods - why buy
the high priced products? We're talking a huge difference in price, not a
few dollars. I picked up a bag of Ichiban as a treat for the small koi.
The price was $15.99 for a mere 3 lbs. How long would 3 lbs last with all
the fish I have? Not long even fed sparingly. Even if I had less fish I
wouldn't spend this on a main diet since they do so well on the other chows
at 50 lbs per $12.00 to $14.00.

Experience, seen fatty tumors (internal & external) on koi &
goldfish fed cat/troutfish food, and other pet foods. ~ jan

** Until I see those things in my fish and/or the fish of the people I
know, I have no compelling reason to switch. They've been on this diet now
for several years and there have been no problems. Perhaps the fish with
fatty livers were overfed! Could that be? *Overfat* fish and other
critters can develop the problem on almost any diet. None of these fish are
obese.

Reel McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastadaisy