Old 28-10-2005, 06:44 AM
George Pontis

Default CF lamps

In article ,
says...
wrote:

If you have 2w/gal or more of PC lightingm, you are far above the
minimum light compesation point for aquatic plants even if you had a
60% decay of PAR from the lighting.

So what is a good level? 1.5WPG? 1.0? I know plants vary, but for all
but the really high light demanders, what is a good level? I'm getting
ready to build a hood for a 20L and would like to know.

I'm planning on using screw-in fluorescents mounted across the tank and
concentrated in one half, with maybe one 10 watt in the other half for a
"shady" area. Comments?

And yes, I know there's all sorts of fancy stuff out there. but I'm a
retiree on a budget :-).

2-5 WPG is the typical range used by most planted tank enthusiasts. Screw-in
fluorescent is economical but you do need to the majority of the light into the
tank. That requires a reflector of some kind, and a reflector for a long tube is
easier to fashion than for a spiral bulb.