Old 28-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Late Blight?

Hunter77 said:

Half of my tomato plants have developed a few dark brown, almost black
areas, mostly along the stem. At first, I thought it was dirt and
gently scraped at it, taking off some of the epidermis. So far, the
affected areas don't feel mushy, but it looks like so kind of rot. The
surrounding stems are fine. There is a little bit of yellowing on the
lower foilage on just a few of the plants, but doesn't have me worried,
as it is normal this time of year. I've ruled out cold damage as that
affects the new, tender growth. Are these the early symptoms of late
blight? If not, then what is this?

Maybe early blight, which usually sets in late (to keep us all confused).

(attributed to Don Marti)