Old 25-01-2003, 09:24 AM
Natalie

Default willow & cherry blossom

"anon." wrote in message
Hello,

I've got a 6 branches/stems of willow sitting in water indoors & they've
taken root.

Q1. Can i now plant these in the garden? Where should i plant them,

against
a wall in a sunny spot or against a wall in a partially shaded area? (i've
only got a small garden)

Q2. Do i need to cut them back after i plant it so that it grows from just
above ground, how much should i cut off?

Fresh cut Willow should be planted directly into the ground, throughout the
dormant months, without roots - it roots very easily.

As your Willow has already rooted you could either dig a hole big enough to
accommodate the roots or cut the stem above the roots and plant in a 9-12"
deep hole that is just wide enough to accommodate the stem. I have a tool
that is called a Derby Dibber, which is a giant dibber with a long handle
and foot hold - it makes the job very easy when you are planting a willow
tunnel ;-)

If you don't want the Willow to grow into a tree you can cut it down to the
ground, in the dormant months, but maybe I would wait until next year to
make sure the stem is well rooted.

Willow likes a lot of water, so I think you should make sure it is planted
in the wettest part of your garden. Otherwise I don't think it is fussy
whether it is in sun or shade.

HTH

Natalie