Old 28-10-2005, 03:03 PM
John McMillan

Default loquats?

In article , (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
John McMillan wrote:
In article , "JennyC"

I brought some loquat seeds back with me from Greece.

They have all come up and I am now wondering whether they will
survive the climate here outside?

Anyone got any experience growing them in the UK, Holland or maybe
even de Dordogne?

Mine germinated fine and grow well, possibly too well,
in an unheated greenhouse in Sheffield.
However, outdoors, the wind burns the leaves and they perish.

Perhaps. As it didn't happen here, I suspect that it may not be so
simple. They might be very sensitive to pollution,

Unlikely, the wind here comes mostly from the SW across the pennines
and is clean as it enters the city (where I am). Also, the air
in the greenhouse is much the same as the stuff outside.

or it could
be a difference in variety, or it could be that they hadn't hardened
up. That certainly does happen with cold winds.

Mine were from fruit purchased in Spain. I grew them to about
30cm inside, then tried putting some of them out. The leaves just
shriveled and dropped off. It wasn't even winter at the time.