Old 29-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Toni

Default Wilma Report

"Diana Kulaga"
Here on the Treasure Coast, most power has been restored. Not so in Palm
Beach County, where Kenni is (my son, too). And south of that, well, they
are in a world of hurt.

I'm in Broward on generator power.
The house and occupants came through very well, but the garden?
No.

I brought all of my orchids plus the hanging and potted plants indoors so
they are fine.
But I have no trees to hang them in!
I have a couple of tree skeletons, but not a leaf to be had. Lots of plant
and tree losses, and for some reason many of my palms saw fit to literally
eject their immature new leaf shoots, so I do worry about their future as
well.
Lots of sunburned understory plants, both now and in the future.

$4K fence total loss.

But the weather has made things tolerable and with a generator and solar hot
water I can have a hot shower every night. Have a freezer full of food and a
good gas grill so we have been eating very well indeed.
The beer will run out tonight.

Land phones have been a lifeline but no reception on any cells.
I have gas enough for 3-4 more days then will have to hit the road in
search. My job and my husbands job (each within 4 miles) both have power so
gas should become available soon.

Estimate for power restoration is November 22.
Blah...

--
Toni
South Florida USA