Old 29-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Ignorance

In article , wrote:

Tut, you're behind the times! The current designs need about 20 tonnes
in geostationary orbit (three launches of a Proton/Ariane V/shuttle
class launcher) to form a seed cable. Once that's in place you start
running small climbers up it with more cable to expand it to full
size.

You are, indeed, correct that I am behind the times!

20 tons only? Even allowing for the equipment to spin the initial
cable and to power the climbers (SO much better than using fossil
fuel), that is really quite affordable. I doubt that I will see it,
but I could well be wrong.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.