Old 29-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Starlord

Default Cana roots migrating?

Canna RHIZOMES only have to be planted a max of 3 inch deep, I've had them
grow with only 1 inch of soil on them. Canna grow by making more rhizomes
and each new section will grow a new stalk and the old part once used up
will rot away. I've planted ONE small rhizome in fall and during the winter
it would grow underground and come spring time once the temps got up to
about 50F I'd get 2 oe 3 stalks growing all from a much larger rhizome.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
I planted some Cana tubers in the spring of 2004. Originally, I planted
them around 8 or 10 inches
deep. Today I went out to trim them down for the winter, and found that
in several of them, there
were large branched tubers with growth points on the surface or breaking
through to the surface.

Is it normal for Cana tubers to migrate upwards like that? Would the
original tubers still be "down
there" below the surface ones? I'm concerned about them freezing out now.