Old 29-10-2005, 07:06 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Superthrive

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Quinn"
Subject: [IBC] Superthrive

Nina wrote "Lately I've been asked to speak to 9th graders about a career

in
science, and it's depressing. Jobs in science in the next decades are
going to be filled by foreigners with good backgrounds in science, not
by the kind of students I've been seeing. Not the kids' fault; its our
fault for not teaching decent science."

A point especially brought home by Thomas Friedman in his book _The World

Is
Flat_...interesting reading!

John and Nina,
As an old Industrial Arts teacher ( Woodshop and drafting) and an old Voc
Ed. H.S. Electronics teacher I can tell you that not only "Science" is , or
will suffer. Our kids are more and more leaving school without knowing how
to do anything but play video games and makeup a web page.
My oldest son was part of the "gotta get into computers" rage ten years ago
in HS, now he is, he enjoys it but the average saleries are low. Too many
kids!
But, try to get something fixed or built. Now those young kids are at the
mercy of the few who can actually do something with their hands without
pushing computer keys. It's only going to slowly get worse. Thank god there
are still fine vocational HS's. When I was a kid ( I'm 56) my dad could do,
fix or build anything. Every father in the neighborhood was the same. This
held pretty true with me and I'm not afraid of most type jobs. But I sure
see it coming!
I spent 16 years in the medical field repairing medical xray machines in
hospitals and clinics, offices, etc. It was 75% mechanical and 25%
electronics ( most people thought it was the other way around when they'd
ask about it) . Before I left that good-paying job for a high paying bonsai
business :) I could see it coming...the new hirees from college with
electronics degrees ( most guys I worked with were old Navy electronics guys
with precvious 2 yr TECH SCHOOL backgrounds) can troubleshoot or design the
heck out of a circuit but man some couldn't even SOLDER , and forget
something like re-tapping a stripped out screw hole!! I've had a few
Sessions with my 28 yr old Computer tech about "Using Hand Tools".
Just something I've been noticing...It's a comin"
Dale

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++