Old 29-10-2005, 08:53 PM
mm

Default Sears Lawn Tractor: Kohler Engine: Runs then quits.....

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:35:34 -0400, Stubby
wrote:

My old car suffered a stuck float valve once. Gas kept on pouring into
the carburetor and one in to flood the engine. I paniced and the dealer
sold me a $1200 replacement. Later on I was reading an old engine
repair book that said the first thing to do is whack the carburetor up
the side with a rubber mallet to dislodge stuck floats. I'll bet that
would have worked and no disassembly would have been required.

This was such a common problem for the volkswagon beetle in the 60's
that the Owners Manual actually said to hit the carburetor if the car
wouldn't start.

And it wasn't on a piece of paper taped inside after the manual was
printed. It was included in the regular text of the manual. They'd
obviously been having the problem for years.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.