Old 30-10-2005, 03:00 AM
sherwindu

Default Y-Shaped Trunk in Young Maple Tree

The main question here is appearance, as a single leader trunk might
look more appropriate. This problem would have been easier if you
would have attacked it when the tree was much younger. At this point,
I would recommend leaving the tree, as it is. The two branches are too
big now to try and straighten. An arbortist or tree surgeon might have
a better idea what to do. Perhaps some kind of steel band to prevent
further widening of the crack

Sherwin D.

powrwrap wrote:

I have 6 year old maple tree that was grown from a seedling. It is now
about 15 feet in height. About 23 inches up from the ground the trunk
splits in a tight Y-shape. The branches from the Y curve upwards nd
grow almost vertical. There is a crack forming in the crotch of the Y.

Coming out of the ground, the trunk is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
Once the trunk forms the Y there is a dominant branch (about 2 1/2
inches in diameter) and a smaller branch (about 2 inches in diameter.
I've been told to cut off the smaller branch to prevent the tree from
splitting at the Y-shape. Is this good advice?

If I cut the smaller branch off, the remaining dominant branch will
then be the trunk of the tree. It will appear to be growing off
vertical at the former Y-point. Will this correct itself as the tree
matures?

I don't think so. There will always be a bend in the trunk at that point.

Thanks.