Old 30-10-2005, 03:10 AM
sherwindu

Default How do I fix this leaning tree after what Wilma did to it?

You can try staking it. Apply some rope around a strong point on the tree, and pad
it with something so that it doesn't dig into the trunk. Fasten it to a firm stake(s) in the
ground. You may not be able to straighten it immediately, so it is preferable to
do this gradually by taking up slack on the rope from time to time. With that large
a tree, you may need some helping hands or some kind of mechanical advantage to
get the tree to move. I once straigtened a tree using pulleys and a car jack.

Sherwin D.

miamicuse wrote:

I have an oriental fruit tree, called "Longan"? it's about 15 to 18 feet
tall, and many trees in my neighborhood fell after Wilma, it stood up. I was
happy that it did not snap (the metal light pole ten feet from it snapped in
half!).

But when I inspected it real close, I can see that it is now leaning a
little bit. Also as I walked on one side, the soil is very soft and loose,
as if the root has been pulled up a bit.

How do I fix this? If I ignore it it probably will grow until the next storm
and that's it. Is there a way to "right" it? The trunk is about 12 inches in
diameter.

MC