Old 30-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Sacha

Default Quick Growing Ivy

On 29/10/05 21:33, in article
, "Simon Adebisi"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 29/10/05 17:07, in article
, "Simon Adebisi"
wrote:

What else would your recomend? I am trying to get more privacy on my
fence
qucikly.

Can you tell us the area in which you live and whether you want a plant
that
is a self-clinging climber, or one that needs wires or trellis to support
it? And does it *have* to be a climber or could it be evergreen shrubs
in
front of the fence? Which way does it face and does your garden get
strong,
cold winds or is it in a frost pocket? Is there a flower bed in front of
it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Self climber would be good but I could put up a trellis. Was wanting to have
a climber but no evergreen would be ok too. strong winds yes I live within
throwing distance of the river Tyne and my garden back onto it. No flower
bed at the mo but maybe later? Just moved into the house you see, all grass
at the mo.

Although my grandmother came from Co. Durham, I can't claim to know that
area at all but suggest the first step is to talk to your local nursery and
find out what they advise as being hardy and wind tolerant in your area -
someone here will probably know, too. I think you could grow the winter
flowering jasmine up a fence and onto trellis and Lonicera (honeysuckle)
would be good, too and some are evergreen. I don't think there's a Clematis
that would remain evergreen in your area but there is a huge variety of
these and they look lovely draping themselves over a trellis. The other
good way to find out what would work in your location is to look at your
neighbours' gardens and ask them for advice, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk