Old 30-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Draven

Default How many gardeners here have NO lawn?

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 30/10/05 10:19, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

I'm thinking of taking up, what's rest of my lawn, and putting beautiful
plants in its place.

How many would agree or disagree to this proposal?

If you're not going to use your lawn to sit on or for children to play on,
then getting rid of it is certainly an option. But do take into
consideration what sort of house you live in, too. Some older houses do
really beg for a lawn and would look rather lost without one. For
example,
our is a Victorian vicarage and the lawn in front of it is a key to the
whole garden, IMO. In old-fashioned terms, the lawn was the 'heart' of
the
flower garden and everything worked round it, whatever the size of house
or
garden.
Just digging it up and shoving in more shrubs without looking at the
overall
structure with the plants or beds you have now, would be a mistake, IMO.
like Kay's idea of putting in ponds and perhaps focusing the planting in
that way.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I would really like more space for plants and veg.
ATM I'm confined to growing veg in containers and then I look at my uneven
lawn and try to imagine rows of beetroot, onions etc. ;O)

Draven