Old 30-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Sacha

Default The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

On 30/10/05 14:26, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

I don't know that he plays to it but he certainly has a slight Yorkshire
accent, yes.

thanks :-)
Surrounded by Yorkshire accents as I am, I can no longer recognise them!
- just sounds like normal to me.

I thought that might be what was happening!

I think he does play to the camera but that is all part of his
engaging his audience. Whatever one may think of Ground Force etc., AT is
extremely good at making his audience feel he is talking directly to each
one of them as individuals.

Speak for yourself ;-)
That technique of 'confidential' asides to camera make me cringe.

I don't mean those and I hate them, too. I think that style of telly
presenting is patronising. I mean really more his manner when he is doing
his 'sensible but friendly' bit of giving information.

One thing I do like about him is that he appears to dislike that
ridiculously contrived joshing around the presenters do on e.g. The Chelsea
Flower Show.

You mean, like the 'arguments' between him and the handyman guy on
Ground Force? ;-)

'fraid so. Apparently the directors of these programmes like this sort of
thing and insist on it. I really hope the presentation of Chelsea
concentrates on the gardens and the planting this year and not some
out-reach vegetable project in County Wherever or the colour of the tie AT
or DG are - or aren't - wearing. And if anyone 'out there' is reading this
for Gawd's sake put the names of the plants up on the blasted screen so that
people who are interested in PLANTS find out what they are! I'm beginning
to think urg should stage a mass demo outside the Beeb this year if they
don't get it right!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk