Old 30-10-2005, 06:31 PM
WaltA

Default The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:16:20 +0000, Kay wrote:

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

Does he have an accent?

Everyone (who speaks) has an accent.

sigh Does he have an accent which is sufficiently distinctive for the
possibility of 'playing to his accent' to arise?

Hmmm, a clarification may be in order :
Do you think that I was criticizing him for _having_ an accent ?

Did I say anything about it being _distinctive_ ?
(anyhows, is being distinctive a problem?)

Did I say anything about the desirability of not having an accent (an
impossibility) to be able to broadcast via the BBC as Lord Reith tried
to command ?

No to all the above !

What I suggested and was interested to solicit other peeps views
onnit, was if y'all thought he _played_to_it_
eg. like wot I do if im tellin a scottish joke./eg

Sorry if I gave the impression that I was pouring scorn on the
yorkshire accent in general ! ( would I dare ! )

aside to camera
Mind you, when I did a Gardeners Question Time OB at Askam Brian we
did have a little chuckle, from time to time, as one does when in a
foreign land )
/ducks