Old 30-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Tom J

Default How do I fix this leaning tree after what Wilma did to it?

"miamicuse" wrote in message
Thanks for the advise, the problem however is actually getting to a
point
where I can stake it.

This is a picture of what the situation is:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...reeleaning.JPG

The tree is near the corner of a fenced area. I added some red
dashes to
show where the roots are coming up and the soil is loosened...and
the green
arrows showing how it is leaning.

I need to push it in the opposite direction. I cannot use a car or
truck
inside the fence as cars cannot access that area. To it's left is a
swimming pool and another tree.

I along with two other neigbors tried pushing it by hand, didn't
yield at
all.

I outlined the fences in two colors. The brown outlined side butts
up
against my neighbor, who has a pool on the other side, so can't pull
from
there. Otherwise that would be the right direction to pull.

Here is what I did to straighten a leaning tree. I went to the
building supply and bought 2 long jack post. (these were 3 or 4 inch
dia. steel pipe post 8 feet tall with a screw thread cap on top) I put
blocks of wood at an angle in the ground and nailed a 1X6 to a 2X4 to
make V shaped blocks to place under limbs. I installed the jacks until
tight and then tightened a couple of turns a day with the jack,
sometimes more with 1 jack than the other to keep it going in the
right direction. 3 weeks later the tree was back to where it was
originally. I left the jacks in place for about 6 months and it stayed
in place when they were removed. I did cover the screw threads with
grease, so I'll have them to use again for whatever. That was 3 years
ago and no need has come along!!

Tom J