Old 31-10-2005, 05:15 AM
sherwindu

Default How do I fix this leaning tree after what Wilma did to it?

As I eluded to in an earlier reply, it is a matter of leverage, even in this cramped
space. You could drive a stake into the corner of the fence. Attach a cable to the
stake and tree. This will create a pull angle both downward and back, but I think
you will be able to generate enough back pressure to move the tree backwards.
Intersperce with an inline jack, probably available at a rentall place.
This worked for me in a similar predicatment. You could also use a pulley to vector
the cable away from the fence to give you more room to attach the jack. In case
you are wondering, I got a lot of experience from raising and lowering the mast of
my sailboat in similar cramped quarters. I also righted a large red cedar that fell
over and was planted close to my building.

Sherwin D.

miamicuse wrote:

Thanks for the advise, the problem however is actually getting to a point
where I can stake it.

This is a picture of what the situation is:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...reeleaning.JPG

The tree is near the corner of a fenced area. I added some red dashes to
show where the roots are coming up and the soil is loosened...and the green
arrows showing how it is leaning.

I need to push it in the opposite direction. I cannot use a car or truck
inside the fence as cars cannot access that area. To it's left is a
swimming pool and another tree.

I along with two other neigbors tried pushing it by hand, didn't yield at
all.

I outlined the fences in two colors. The brown outlined side butts up
against my neighbor, who has a pool on the other side, so can't pull from
there. Otherwise that would be the right direction to pull.

On the other side of the blue fence is a back alley wide enough for cars.
This is where they come pick up garbage. I can get a truck in there to pull
using a rope? But it will be pulling at an angle instead. Also, the main
truck is lower than the fence where I can apply leverage, so may be pulling
will mess up the fence.

Is this tree caught between "a pool and a fence"? I can see no good
solution...

MC

"sherwindu" wrote in message
You can try staking it. Apply some rope around a strong point on the

tree, and pad
it with something so that it doesn't dig into the trunk. Fasten it to a

firm stake(s) in the
ground. You may not be able to straighten it immediately, so it is

preferable to
do this gradually by taking up slack on the rope from time to time. With

that large
a tree, you may need some helping hands or some kind of mechanical

advantage to
get the tree to move. I once straigtened a tree using pulleys and a car

jack.

Sherwin D.

miamicuse wrote:

I have an oriental fruit tree, called "Longan"? it's about 15 to 18

feet
tall, and many trees in my neighborhood fell after Wilma, it stood up. I

was
happy that it did not snap (the metal light pole ten feet from it

snapped in
half!).

But when I inspected it real close, I can see that it is now leaning a
little bit. Also as I walked on one side, the soil is very soft and

loose,
as if the root has been pulled up a bit.

How do I fix this? If I ignore it it probably will grow until the next

storm
and that's it. Is there a way to "right" it? The trunk is about 12

inches in
diameter.

MC